Sunday, May 13, 2012

Finishing first...

"You just don't recognize the view Karev. The crowd going wild, people taking pictures, the snap of the tape as you break it."

"What are you talking about?"

"What it looks like when you finish first."

I graduated college today and I don't think I've ever been so proud of myself. I rank number six out of my parents seven children and today I was the first one to graduate college. My family was so proud of me, they screamed so loud when I walked across that stage and shook President Ambars hand.

I graduated college today and I packed up my things and I left. I'll never live on Cedar Crest College campus again and I'll never be an undergraduate student again. I've earned a bachelors degree, a bachelor of Arts to more exact.

So why am I crying right now? It's because today I said bye to some people who played a very large part in making me the woman that I am today. I'm a strong, passionate and caring leader that is prepared for whatever the world wants to throw at me because of those people. I'll never be afraid to speak up in a room full of important people or ever think that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a woman, and it's because of those people.

My professors at CCC did whatever they could to make sure that I was prepared for the real world when I graduated. They tested me, made me write papers, they laughed with me, listened to my stories and welcomed me back with open arms when I left for a semester abroad.

Cedar Crest College was my home and now I'm never going to live there again. I'm so happy that I'm able to begin the next chapter in my life but no one really ever tells you how hard it is to close a chapter. A chapter that changed the way you look at yourself and the women around you. A chapter that taught you how to not only find your voice but how to use it as well. A chapter that told me that I'm ready to go out and make a difference in the world.

My life is forever touched by the experiences I had and the relationships I was able to build these last four years. It breaks my heart to know that some of those people I may not see again for years and years but I don't regret meeting them. If I could do it all over I would and I would do it the exact same way. I would remake every mistake, have every fight and enjoy every late night I stayed up laughing with my best friends.

My time at Cedar Crest has come to an end and now it's time for me to figure out my place in the rest of this world. It's time for me to wipe the tears and go out and do what Cedar Crest has taught me how to do best, finish first.

No comments:

Post a Comment