Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The presence of the Lord

Today I was driving home from work and for some reason I just had to have my sunglasses on. So I started feeling around for them and I just couldn't find them. So I pulled over into this school parking lot and I went into the back seat to get them out of my backpack.

Low and behold they're not in my backpack and I look in at the door pocket on the drivers side and there they are. So while I'm putting them on this older gentleman walks up to me and asks me about the company car. He says "Excuse me ma'am, what's Up With People, do you guys lift people up in the world or something."

He was so sincere with his approach and at first I was stand offish but when I looked at his face I could tell life dealt him a tough hand. We got the talking and he told me about how he was homeless and his family was dead and he needed money to catch the bus to get to the homeless shelter.

Now, it's very rare that I give a homeless person money, just because you never really know, I usually will offer to buy them food or something. But for some reason while I was talking to him this overwhelming peace came over me and it was like the Lord was telling me to help his son.

I gave the guy a few bucks and I told him "God bless you" and he shook my hands and said, "No, God bless you, thank you so much." When he walked away I was rushed with this overwhelming feeling to call him back and give him the rest of the cash I had in my wallet, only $13. But of course, my mind went crazy with thoughts like, "hey you might need that this week."

As he walked away I couldn't help but be completely and utterly amazed by what had just happened in my life. I hear people say we need to be Gods hands and feet but to actually feel the Lord guiding you to do something and removing all fear and doubt so that you know it's right was just unbelievable.

I drove home and I had butterflies in my stomach to the point where I was queasy. God used me, this low and dirty vessel to be a light in the world. That man walked away thinking that I was a blessing to his life when in reality he was a blessing in mine.

I hope that I see him again so that I can thank him for renewing my faith and helping me to yearn for God again. It's funny how it doesn't take something elaborate and life threatening to happen for you to realize how amazing God is.

Sometimes it just takes three dollars and a pair of lost sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment