Saturday, July 21, 2012

The price of life...

For anyone who doesn't know, I live in Colorado now and yesterday, well early this morning rather, a shooting occurred in a movie theater and it claimed the lives of 12 individuals and wounded many more.

It's safe to say that though I didn't know any of the people that were affected by the shooting, my life was definitely impacted today. I was woken up at 4am this morning from texts messages from my friends at homes asking if I was ok. At that point I wasn't even aware that something had happened and from then on for the rest of the day I was returning phone calls and messages assuring my friends and family that I was alright.

I was nauseous for most of the day thinking about the people that were killed, especially the children, who never had a chance to enjoy so many of the wonderful things that life has to offer. I couldn't help but think about how highly I value life and how this person didn't place the same value to the lives of others.

I'm sad to admit it but, I was initially filled with hate for this person. I thought to myself, who does this guy think he is? What makes you so important that you get to choose between whether people live or die? I just wanted him to pay for what he did, and honestly I still want him to pay for what he did but now that desire for justice isn't fueled by hate, instead it's fueled by love. Love for those that lost their lives and their families, even deep down I think love for this young man that got so lost in life that he thought it was the right decision to kill a dozen people.

It breaks my heart to read about stories and people like this, where did this young man fall through the cracks? Who went wrong, who is to blame? Why didn't he get the help he needed before he went on a rampage? I just feel so sorry for him, not only has he ended the lives of so many people, but consequently he ended his own life as well, he'll never have freedom again for as long as he lives. That's the price he has to pay for what he did.

Today started out as a very difficult day and as it went on I was just reminded that no matter what happens in life, no matter how many tragedies this earth faces, the world keeps spinning and life goes on. As harsh as that may sound, in the grand scheme of things life never stops, even when 12 people lose their lives, the world around them just keeps spinning.

No comments:

Post a Comment