Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Invisible Children

For the last year and a half I've been planning out my senior project and yesterday I saw a video that I inspired me too incorporate more things into it.

I watched a video produced by the organization Invisible Children. The video was made to bring awareness to a problem going on in South Africa and also the video was a call to action. Just for background purposes, before I saw this video I planned to dedicate a large section of my senior project to the idea of invisible children. After living in Asia for a month and seeing first hand the poverty and conditions that some children have to go through I really wanted to fight to help bring awareness too and end child soldiers.

This video that I saw last night helped me have a more tangible idea of things that people like you and me can do to end this horrible problem. The Stop Kony movement is built on the idea of awareness and proactive moves that can help dissolve an army that is abducting and enslaving children in South Africa. Joseph Kony is the head of this army and Invisible Children has started a campaign called Kony 2012 that they hope will help bring this man to justice.

The idea is that Invisible children will reach out to 20 celebrities and 12 politicians that they believe have the influence to change this situation. After much hard work and dedication IC was able to pursued President Obama in October 2011 to send 100 American soldiers to Uganda to help the Uganda army in stopping Joseph Kony.

By posting pictures and status about Joseph Kony it helps your friends and family to know his name and what that does is it help the American government to know that US citizens care about what is going on in South Africa.

I've found in myself that as soon as I learned about this issue it hit me very close to my heart. I don't think that anyone should ever have to live in fear of being abducted at a young age and forced to fight in an army that they have no affiliation with. These children are forced to kill their parents and if they are young girls they are forced to be sex slaves, we must do something. There is a quotation from the movie that really stuck out to me, "Where you live should not determine whether you live." Just because we were fortunate enough to be born in America doesn't mean we can ignore injustice in other countries.

When you ignore injustice you contribute to it. Join me in the fight to end child soldiers and the efforts to show our president that we care about what goes on in this world. I'm 22 years old and I want to live in a world where people all over have basic human rights, and that' s not the case right now. Join the fight Kony 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment