Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Human rights

I've always been interested in Human rights. In fact, I already have the blue print of an organization that I've wanted to start for years, but the thing is I've always felt kind of helpless.

I know that one day I'll have the means to make the world a better place, but what can I do now? What can I do as a 22 year old college student based out of Allentown,PA, well here's what I can do. I can speak out about things that matter.

No matter how much money or influence I may or may not have at this time I will always have a voice. Until the day I die I'll have the precious gift of a voice and it's up to me to decide if I want that voice to be heard or not.

It's one thing to speak out but it's another to speak out about things that matter. It's really disheartening to see so many people discredit the #Kony2012 movement and calling it a fad instead of joining in and trying to spread the message.

Yes it's true the Invisible Children organization is far from perfect and maybe arresting Joseph Kony won't solve all of the problems in South Africa, but if one life is saved? Doesn't that mean something? If one child is returned to their families, if one little girl doesn't have to become a sex slave, isn't their mission accomplished.

Before you scratch this off as being just another popular fad, think of all the people or maybe the one person that this awareness can save. I don't know about you but It's very hard for me to feel emotionally attached to large numbers, but when I simplify it and make it about one person, one child, I feel driven. My heart breaks for these children that had to kill their parents and relatives or don't know what it's like to grow up playing with a gun that has pretend bullets in it instead of live ammunition.

I'm not asking for anyone to send money to Invisible Children but all I'm asking is for people to support a cause that is trying to end injustice. For one, for many, this could change a life, it could change lives. Lets make a difference and join the fight against injustice. No matter how you feel about Invisible Children don't let that stop you from helping these children to have a normal life. Make Joseph Kony famous and help make the invisible, visible.

XOXO Nik.

No comments:

Post a Comment