Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Parents are amazing

There is this song by Gavin Degraw and it's entitled "I have you to thank" and it's about a guy pretty much thanking his girlfriend for treating him so good and making his standards as far as relationships go so high. But when I hear that song I don't think of a relationship or a guy at all but instead I think of my parents. for the last 20 years I've watched my parents relationship and every year that they have together and every anniversary that passes I just get more and more proud of them and my standards get higher.

I'm not saying that my parents relationship is perfect by any means but it's definitely taught me a lot, more than any relationship or guy could ever teach me. My dad has taught me that it's really not corny to randomly bring your wife flowers every now and then and beautiful hallmark cards. My mom has taught me that your not a Step ford wife if you make your husband a plate for dinner and wrap it up for him if he's not home by dinner time. My mom has taught me that sometimes you have to put yourself aside when the well being of your children is at hand, and that when it comes to your family you have to be selfless.

My father has taught me that sometimes you have to risk not seeing your family all the time so that you can work hard and support them. My parents have showed me what a God fearing couple looks like and how a husband should treat his wife and also how a wife should treat her husband. I've watched so many people in relationships and watched them make the same mistakes that there parents made, that led their parents to getting divorces and I'm happy that I don't have a violent cycle to pass on.

My parents never hit each other and were never verbally or emotionally abusive at all, and I really can't thank them enough. If it weren't for the relationship that my parents have I wouldn't know what to do when it comes to the opposite sex. Watching them I've learned more than I ever could of imagined and I couldn't be more appreciative of all the lessons they've taught me. So for any guy at there that hopes to win my heart, don't be mad at me for the high standards I've set for myself, you have my parents to thank for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment