Thursday, March 25, 2010

Marie Claire

Yesterday While I was sitting in the newsroom at my school waiting for the paper to be sent, I came across an article in Marie Claire that this young lady had written. The article was about her dating life and how she had always equated the butterflies that she got in her stomach, to her body telling her that she must really like the guy.

Well to make a short article even shorter she goes on to explain that those weren't feelings of love and care but actually fear of losing that person or not being enough for them. She then describes the current relationship she's in and how for once in her life she's not getting butterflies, but instead finally feeling happy and secure in a relationship.

I could really relate to the things that were said in the article because that's exactly how I used to think, and still catch myself thinking at times. I think that if man doesn't give me butterflies than he obviously isn't the guy for me. If a man doesn't turn my stomach into sushi that obviously I'm not attracted to him. I've found that most bad boys give me the butterflies the most, I see them and my stomach does all kinds of flips.

Then I'll see a normal good guy and I won't feel butterflies at all. When I examine the two types of guys the good guy can be more attractive and nicer to me and just all around better, but I'd always go after the bad guy. Why?? Just for the rush, the feeling that they may not like me back or want to be around me.

But I've learned that it's so much better when you meet someone that finally gives you the time and attention you deserve. I've grown in the years that I've been in college in the way that I've learned to value myself. I've learned that butterflies were made up to make you think that they're a good thing, but they're definitely not.

The one thing that helps me to not believe in the myth of "butterfly" love anymore is to let my mind wander back to every guy I've ever had feelings for. All but one of them gave me butterflies, every single guy, except for one. Now all of those guys that gave me butterflies I knew for a long time and the treated me like nothing special, the one I knew for hardly anytime and he gave me the time of day.

Butterflies are unnecessary and superficial, but until you meet the one that makes you feel confident to be yourself, you'll never believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment