Thursday, February 14, 2013

If I don't do it, who will?

"If you hear this message, wherever you stand. Calling every woman, calling every man. We're the generation, can't afford to wait, the future started yesterday, we're already late."

I think that most Americans are given a lot of information about something that is going on in the world at one point in their life. What I mean by that sentence filled with confusion and that alludes a lot, I think that the average person at one point in their life is given a presentation about an epidemic or issue going on in the world that they have the power to help or change in some way.

In my own life, I've done research and heard presentations on Abortion, human trafficking, sexual abuse and so many other things. But besides doing papers and speeches on Abortion in college I can't say that I've grabbed on to one cause and really fought for it in my life.

There are people that hear about something wrong that is going on in the world and it immediately fuels them to join the fight. They become activists and they put so much of their energy into ending injustice and others issues that are going on in the world.

I respect those kind of people so much.

Today I heard a speech about Human trafficking and I couldn't help but think over and over again that why hasn't anyone done anything. Why are things like this still going on? Why is it that so many people are aware that things like this are going on but yet they stand back and do nothing?

I'm not even angry when I think about it, it's more about being genuinely concerned. I'm concerned about why some people in the male population think that women don't have value. They not only don't have value, but they don't have value to the point where they're being treated as objects. They're being treated like animals.

I was told today that women caught up in human trafficking are called stable girls. Which just made me so sad. You put animals in a stable, not people.

I just find that I feel a very strong sense of conviction. I need to find a cause that I hit the ground running for. There are just too many bad things going on in the world and I, goodness, we as a world should find what speaks to our hearts and fight for that issue.

When I was a student in Up With People we had a song called, One person, and it's moments like this that that song floods my brain. It really takes one person to take an idea and flourish it and make it into a movement that changes the lives of millions.

I want to be the change. The world needs us to be the change. The future is starting now and we're already late.

No comments:

Post a Comment